I am using two VESC6 units; each communicating via UART with its own serial port to a custom microcontroller setup of mine. (two VESCs hooked up to UART 5 and 6 on my controller)
Before using this UART communication I was using PPM + CAN to send these commands. Everything worked amazing besides the fact that I need to control these motors separately. When I switched to UART, Everything works great at low speeds. As soon as I try to accelerate heavily in the slightest bit it starts cutting out every 10-100 milliseconds.
I have tried disabling and unplugging one controller and then the other from the UART port on the VESC to see if there was some sort of ground loop or if maybe it was only one controller causing issues. Problem is still there.
I have checked the VESC fault codes: nothing reported.
I am about to slow down the transmission speed of UART.... but its already way slower than I would assume the VESC can handle thanks to the tiny packet size. It sends every 100ms. I also would assume this would be an absolute; it would work or it would not like the previous motor controller I was using that used a much larger packet and a slower processor. (I am using the same sending frequency as this controller)
I made sure the set_current is not higher than 60 or -40; the values chosen by default for the VESC when being setup. I also would assume that since I have not changed these current values or any settings at all on the VESC since using PPM that this could possibly not be the issue either.
I don't know where to go from here.
Thanks for reading!