first of all I am sorry that I unlocked my account on a way that was not intended to use, but now I am here so I should use this forum also to share my observations on VESC Tool. So I used my chance to download the VESC Tool (V0.76) and flashed the new firmware (V3.24) to my second VESC 4.12 (which has the filters of the hall port removed). First of all I must say that the new VESC Tool looks amazing and it should be a lot easier for new users to set up the VESC with the wizards. Great work Benjamin. It was a piece of cake to get my motor running in FOC mode.
After everything was set up correctly I played around with the different modes and made my first observation with the keyboard control of the motor.
When using the right and left keys the motor spins up in duct cycle control. When releasing the keys there is a strange current oscillating which is also seen with the FOC Q and D vectors.
When using the up and down keys the motor spins up in current control and after releasing the keys the motor turn off and no current is floating in the non turning motor. So the way it should be.
You can see the realtime data screenshots in the pictures I have uploaded here.
I hope I explained it good enough for understanding it.
I then realized, that after releasing the up/down key the motor behaves like I pushed the „Switch Off“ button and after releasing the right/left keys like pushing the „Full Brake“ button. So every time I pushed the „Full Brake“ button the strange current occurs. My second test was to rotate the motor by hand after I pushed the „Full Brake“ button. As you can see in the uploaded screenshots I got a oscillating current and erpm readout, so definitely some strange things going on there. Maybe this is a useful finding.
The next thing I noticed was the motor temperature which says something like -80 degrees celsius with nothing connected to the temp pin (so with the floating stm pin a strange reading is expected), but I also got a strange reading of around 90 degrees celsius connecting the temp sensor from my MXUS 3000 motor. I used a hair dryer to heat up the motor, but there was no change in the realtime data of the motor temperature visible. The specs say it has a KTY83/110 temp sensor in it, so maybe the current firmware is not build for that type of sensor. But would be cool if common sensors are supported in the future. So right now the motor will not spin with the temp pin connected to the regarding VESC port because of the 90 degree value that is limiting the current because of the motor temp limit.
The maybe most important thing I noticed was the behavior connecting a BT 4.0 module to the UART port and use the metr.at logging app to see if some data could be read. I thought it just couldn’t connect and doesn’t read any data because of a different serial protocol, but it was much worse. Connecting the app to the VESC just fried the STM32. No LEDs were blinking after a reboot and the VESC wasn’t found any longer over USB. Tried different things, but just flashing an old VESC firmware over JTAG with an STLink V2 revives the VESC. Looks like nothing is damaged permanently, but not everyone is able to flash a new firmware over JTAG and I am not 100% sure if really nothing of the hardware was damaged by this. But amazing that it is so easy to brick the STM just with a few UART commands. Wasn't expecting that.
SO TO ALL BETAs. DONT USE ANY OLD SMARTPHONE APP TO CONNECT TO YOUR VESC OVER BLUETOOTH, WHEN YOU DONT WANT TO RISK TO BRICK YOUR NEW VESC 6.
I have only tested with the metr.at app and investigate with Roman (the developer of the app) the following. It looks like command codes for COMM_GET_MCCONF and COMM_GET_APPCONF are 0E and 11 in FW3.24, when in the old FW2.18 the codes are 0D and 10. So instead of sending COMM_GET_MCCONF in metr.at app, I was probably most likely sending COMM_SET_MCCONF. Because of this my VESC was bricked afterwards. We fixed that behavior and also analyzed the serial data so data logging for FW3.24 should work in future versions of the app. But the best way would be getting the source code of VESC Tool and the firmware so we can confirm that and also compile the GUI for Mac.
I hope I am allowed to post my findings here in that thread in the BETA forum. When not, please remove this post or move it to a hidden area. Thanks so much Benjamin for everything you did with VESC Tool, VESC 6, this new website etc. and also Trampa for helping getting the VESC 6 out.