Very excited to introduce a new product I've been working on for the last few months. And I mean, I don't get easily excited but this one makes me feel good about all the countless hours, sweat and blood spent on development.
I've developed this specifically for the high power controller that I am about to start shipping, but later plan to offer it as a standalone product for any VESC controller out there. A few things need to be worked out and tested before that happens though.
So, here is some basic info on features:
1. Currently tested with PV NextGen 25kw controllers. Should work with any BT enabled VESC controller out there running the latest FW version (currently 5.01)
2. Full color touch display supporting gestures/swipes, adjustable backlight for best visibility under various lighting conditions.
3. Built-in battery, can potentially run for days on a single charge if worn as a watch, but it would make sense to wire power to it if mounted permanently on a vehicle.
4. Uses very little power to charge, 5v from the throttle may be enough to run it (haven't tested yet) but a regular USB port works. I also had success powering from a tiny solar panel.
5. Obviously wireless, using Bluetooth low energy, super easy to mount or dismount (you can take it with you when you leave your vehicle as a security measure)
6. Waterproof. Yes, can be submerged under water, so can be used on hydrofoils or other electric watercraft. Not to mention skateboards where wearing it as a watch would likely makes most sense.
7. Sturdy design and slick looks, anodizes aluminum case, can be in different colors.
8. Inconspicuous, tidy looking. No more rat nests, busy mess, or large TV displays on your bike handlebar (for ebikers out there).
9. Tons of data streamed from the controller (anything VESC FW is outputting). We'll be adding more swipeable view screens with different detail depths and for different situations. Basically, unlimited number of screens can be added.
10. Hardware with a great development potential: accelerometer, heart rate sensor, lots of memory storage. I would like to hear ideas what features you would like to see in the future FW releases.
Telemetry and a few screens are currently implemented. The next steps would be implementing easy to use menus to set up VESC from the watch display: motor detection, adjustments for current, voltage, battery configuration, etc.
Feel free to check out a quick demo video below.