I have managed to use VESC to control hoverboard wheels.
I'm still struggling with the configuration to get to work in high roque and smooth low speed. For now,
- it is way too fast
- the movement is not very fluid (tried with PWM, using app current mode and PID velocity modes so far)
- the motor do not seem capable to drive 100Kg without me kicking the vehicule first.
- I have not tried yet but i suspect it will struggle to move up a hill
- I have not managed to connect the wheel sensor to the board (i do not know what yellow/green/blue wire is H1/H2/H3),
- i have not tried the FOC mode yet
I guess that eventually I find out out to configure all this.
However, I am concerned that eventually those motors are designed for speed and not torque. I would like my wheels to have mecanical gear reduction but my hoverboard wheels do not have any. So i would like to repace those wheels with geared wheels. Ideally, it would be an internal planetary gearbox reduction all integrated in the wheel. wheel size should have a compact/modest diameter, typically 6.5 inches. For the reduction I have no clue, I guess 5:1 would be nice. 10:1 even better.
I struggle to source such wheels on aliexpress/alibaba, but i know they can be found. Does any of you use such wheels? Where do you buy them?